Wednesday 5 May 2010

The Final Weeks


Last Sunday I took part in an organised ride - The Jurassic Beast - 65 miles around the coastal hills of Dorset. Those of you who were here to experience our fine bank holiday weather will recall that it was cold, wet and very windy. The delights! Added to which the route was a tad bumpy - with over 4,500 feet ascended over the day. A good test of fitness - and lo and behold, I came to the conclusion that I have a way to go yet! A couple of firsts during the day - trying to mend a puncture - and went through 2 inner tubes in 45 minutes before some kind gentleman took pity and fixed the problem in 2 minutes - must be practice! The second is what is called in the trade the "horizontal stop". On the bottom of my shoes I have cleats which clip into the medals - ensuring the feet are fixed in - I am told it gives one more power! Anyway, the knack is to un-clip before coming to a halt, otherwise you stop, feet still firmly anchored to the pedals and you topple over. So I managed it - at the 40 miles water stop just to give quite a decent sized group something to keep them amused. Hopefully I will not repeat it again.

Only 2 weeks to go now - and I am going to have to hire a bike in Dubai this next week to keep the training going - and the following week is going to be busy with 3 nights in London. Lots of eating and drinking - which will be good training for the evening activities, but I suspect will not assist during the day! I am therefore anticipating that a bit of grit and determination will be needed this year! Anyway, what's 350 miles between friends! At least I will have all my limbs, which will be more than some of the other riders.

Departure date is 24th May - far too close for comfort!

If any of the readers of this have not donated, and wish to - there is a link to a very simple on-line donation site on this page. Please do so for a very worthy cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment